Thursday, November 17, 2011

When You Dare by Lori Foster

When You Dare by Lori Foster is the first book in her Men Who Walk the Edge of Honor series. We meet Dare who is sent on a mission to save partner and best friend Trace's sister from human traffickers. That's when he finds Molly beaten, drugged, and unconscious. What else could he do but bring her back with him? What started out as a complication to his mission turns into so much more.

I love that both Dare and Molly spend a lot of time questioning their attraction and feelings for each other. It gave a sense of reality to the situation. After everything she had been through she wondered if Dare only felt a sense of responsibility for her. Dare wondered if she would leave and return to her life after they found out who was behind her kidnapping. It was nice to see the Alpha male Dare actually have insecurities where a woman was concerned.

We get to know Molly pretty well in this book. We learn about her career, her family, her thoughts and feelings. Dare is very shady about his past. I think there is a brief mention that he was once military, and I'm not exactly sure what his job is. All we know is that he operates inside the law when possible.  The only evolution that Dare went through was from his feelings at the beginning of the book to his feelings at the end. I felt he wasn't a very well rounded character even though he was a smokin hot hero.

And other thing that bothered me was how Molly naturally fit into the lives of Dare and his personal assistant Chris. For 2 immensely private people, Molly coming into their life and home was not a problem for either of them. She was just accepted. I would have liked to see a little more conflict there especially from Chris.

Overall this was a good read: strong heroine, smokin hot hero, and suspense. I'm looking forward to reading Trace's book which is next, and was surprised that this story didn't give us even a peek into what to expect from him.


When You Dare (Men Who Walk the Edge of Honor)
Lori Foster's website

5 comments:

  1. I have to say that these are not my type of books but I like the way you wrote out your review. You made it more of a book with substance rather then a book of merely sex, lust and well, sex. So this must be a book other then all of that, which is great! I may have to check a book like this out someday. That you for posting this review...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I really enjoyed myself reading YA at your blog today. I might have to start branching out in that direction again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard of this author but have not read any of her books. This sounds like an interesting series, as I love romantic suspense.

    I also appreciate well developed characters, and will probably add this to my TBR pile, but not at the top.

    Thanks for a great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lori Foster sounds so familiar, but I know I have not read any of her books. I cannot recall where I came across her name before. Likewise the names Trace and Dare - that really irritates me when I know something, but don't know it. You know? LOL

    I find that romantic suspense is somewhat difficult to pull off. Generally (at least in the books I have read) part of the story suffers. The balance is bad - too much romance not enough suspense, or vice versa. It would be nice to find a book with the right balance between the two. I will have to give Ms. Foster a second look. Thanks so much for the review.
    Kendra

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you may have seen the covers and that's why it's familar. I found the series because I was drawn to the covers at the place I buy books. Pretty good covers nothing amazing but they kind of stick with you.

    ReplyDelete